- Your mattress has a significant impact on your sleep, which in turn dramatically affects your health.
- Cardi’s Furniture & Mattresses can help you find the right mattress for you.
Why You Need the Right Mattress
You know that the right mattress helps you sleep better, and you know that sleep is an essential factor in overall health. However, you may not know all the ways that getting adequate rest helps your body perform better. For example, people who consistently get enough uninterrupted sleep each night are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Sufficient, good-quality sleep also helps improve mood, memory, and appearance. People who get enough sleep tend to live longer because they tend to be healthier and less prone to accidents.
Experts recommend getting a new mattress every 8 to 10 years, depending on its toleration of wear and tear. Whether you’re buying your first one or your 10th, it’s a decision that’s worth researching to make sure you get the best type of mattress for your money and your health. With so much riding on a great night’s sleep, here are some things to consider when choosing a new mattress.
Choose the Right Size Mattress
Before you start shopping, measure carefully and consider how much sleeping space you want and need. You want to consider both the length and the width of the mattress. The most common sizes you find when choosing a mattress are the twin (also available in an XL version), full, queen, and king. For even more space, you can move up to a California king.
Keep in mind that new mattresses are thick and plush, compared to your old mattress which is worn out and flattened during years of sleep.
Choose the Right Type of Mattress
Once you’ve chosen the right size mattress for your space, you’re ready to evaluate the different types of mattresses. Most people are familiar with traditional innerspring mattresses, but you can also choose from other options, including memory foam, pillowtop, latex, Eurotop, and more. Here are some things to know before you head out to the store.
- Eurotop and pillowtop mattresses have extra padding on top, and pillow tops have an additional “pillow” layer attached. If you choose one of these models with the extra padding, you may need new deep pocket sheets to accommodate the depth.
- Memory foam mattresses, which are usually hypoallergenic, and latex mattresses mold your body to maintain alignment. They hold their shape for longer and don’t immediately return to level when you get up.
- Hybrid mattresses incorporate the best features of innerspring and memory foam.
- Double-sided mattresses with box springs are still available, but many new options do not flip.
- Adjustable foundations let you change the mattress angle so you can sit up to read or watch TV. They’re also helpful for people who have mobility issues because they make it easier to get in and out of bed. Remember that memory foam and latex units are good choices for adjustable beds, while innerspring mattresses are not.
Body Impressions Happen
Where Can I Learn More?
The best way to be sure you get the right mattress for you is to head to Cardi’s Furniture & Mattresses and try out the different kinds. We have more than 65 different types of mattresses from the names you trust, including Serta, Beautyrest, and Tempur-Pedic. Our friendly and knowledgeable team members can help you compare your options and learn how to get better sleep at night. We can even outfit your new mattress with sheets and pillows. Visit any of our locations throughout New England and get started on a better night’s rest today.______
Image Credit: Shutterstock/ LI CHAOSHU